The mission of the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) is to enable Jamaica’s sustainable growth through management of the Natural and Built Environment, and Development of Strategic Real Estate Assets.
The General Manager is the senior executive officer who reports to the Board of Directors and is accountable for all aspects of the business of the UDC Group. He/She is responsible for providing strategic leadership to the UDC Group including Heads of the Subsidiaries and Associated Companies.
The incumbent will have responsibility for:
- Leading a team of professionals in visualizing, developing, implementing and managing innovative and creative solutions to drive major development projects which will act as a catalyst for growth in the Jamaican economy
- Leading the development, management and implementation of the corporate strategic and operational plans and providing general business advice to the Board of Directors.
- Leading the formulation of the annual budget for Board approval and prudently managing the organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
- Ensuring that the Corporation’s annual budget and financial reports, as well as strategic and operational plans are completed in a timely manner, for submission and approval of the Board of Directors, the Parent Ministry and the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, in accordance with government guidelines.
- Ensuring the financial viability and soundness of the Corporation.
- Overseeing multiple large projects and alliances to ensure that partnership arrangements are developed and maintained, with timely and comprehensive reporting to the Board, external partners and stakeholders.
- Ensuring the delivery of projects and services on schedule and within budgets.
- Designing and/or supervising initiatives to enable the commercialization of select UDC assets and where feasible doing so with the support and/or involvement of the private sector.
- Establishing and maintaining credibility throughout the organization as a developer of sound and sustainable solutions to business challenges.
- Motivating staff at all levels to perform efficiently and be accountable in their performance of their duties.
The ideal candidate should have:
Specific Knowledge, Qualification and Experience
- Appropriate Tertiary qualifications and/or professional designation in Business Administration, Management or equivalent.
- Experience as an Executive Manager in a multi-disciplinary company and/or leadership of large projects, with a minimum of ten (10) years working at a senior level.
- Knowledge of the Public Bodies Management and Accountability Act and Financial Administration and Audit Acts.
- Knowledge of or qualification in Urban and Regional Planning, Engineering or Architecture, in addition to advanced training in Project Management would be an asset.
Required Skills and Specialized Techniques
- A strategic visionary with sound technical, planning, negotiating and analytical skills as well as a strong operational management focus.
- Experience in public/private partnership including financing of large scale projects.
- A confident communicator who is pragmatic and consistent, with excellent conceptual and communication skills, effective inter-personal skills and a proven ability to lead and motivate.
- Professional presence, recognized integrity, sound judgment and a team-building approach that cultivates confidence. Equally important is a network of successful relationships with the local and international financial community, multilateral lending agencies, as well as government and industry.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae should be sent no later than October 19, 2021 to:
Urban Development Corporation
12 Ocean Boulevard, Kingston Mall, Jamaica. W.I